In Joomla!, Menus and Menu Items provide the overall structure for the site. One Menu normally contains multiple Menu Items. Each Menu Item loads a pre-defined type of page determined by the Menu Item Type. By default, Joomla! offers several menu item types. If you or your web developer has installed any additional third party Joomla! Extensions (likely), these may add new Menu Item Types to this list.
A list of available Menu Item Types for Version 1.5 is available in the official help documentation. If you install any Joomla! Extensions, these may add new Menu Item Types to this list.
To add a new Menu Item in Joomla! 1.5.x:
- Log in to the Joomla! back-end.
- If needed, create a new Menu using the Menu Manager.
- Open the Menu Item Manager in one of the following ways:
- Select the Menu you wish to add an item to from the "Menus" drop-down menu.
- From the Menu Manager, click the Edit Menu Item(s) icon for the desired Menu.
- In the Menu Item Manager, click the New toolbar button to open the Menu Item: New screen.
- Select the appropriate menu item type. For example to insert a single Article select Internal Link > Articles > Article Layout.
- Complete the Menu Item Details section as required. Each Menu Item Type will have it's own parameters to complete as well as common parameters and Menu Item Details. The common parameters and Menu Item Details are documented here.
How to add a new menu item to a menu in Joomla 3.0
- Log into your Joomla 3.0 admin dashboard
- In the top menu, click Menus and then click the menu to which you'd like to add a link to.
- In the top left of the page, click the New button
- There are quite a few settings you can adjust for your new menu item. In order to make this tutorial a little less complicated, only the following settings will be adjusted:
Setting Description What we entered Menu Item Type The type of link: Component, URL, Alias or Separator Single Article Select Article Select the desired article from the list. Test Article 1 Menu Title The title of the menu item that will display in the menu. Test Article 1 Alias The Alias will be used in the SEF URL. Leave this blank and Joomla will fill in a default value from the title. This value will depend on the SEO settings (Global Configuration->Site).
Using Unicode will produce UTF-8 aliases. You may also enter manually any UTF-8 character. Spaces and some forbidden characters will be changed to hyphens.
When using default transliteration it will produce an alias in lower case and with dashes instead of spaces. You may enter the Alias manually. Use lowercase letters and hyphens (-). No spaces or underscores are allowed. Default value will be a date and time if the title is typed in non-latin letters .
Please note! There are many different types of menu items you can create. For example, you can link to articles, categories, and content created by 3rd party extensions. In this tutorial, we are simply linking to a single article.
Other options depend on the individual components that are installed on your website. After configuring the settings above, click the Save button in the top left of the page.